God has given us an opportunity to grow in order to more effectively reach and serve our community. As we embark on this exciting next step for our church, we know God is going to stretch us to serve, pray, and give in new ways. Listed below are questions and answers for you to review as you consider how God would lead you to be a part of Redeemer’s Reach 2018 Initiative.
1. WHY EXPAND RATHER THAN RENOVATE?
Since the purchase of 2505 Stone Hollow in December 2015, we have been working with architects, builders, engineers, and inspectors to determine the most cost-effective way to “get in” the building as soon as possible. We originally planned to simply renovate the existing structure, but that has proven cost prohibitive. Because it is a wood frame structure with load-bearing walls running the length of the building and occupancy would change significantly, we would be required to:
- re-engineer almost half of the building to accommodate our needs,
- add an extremely expensive sprinkler system to the entire building,
- and make significant upgrades to the electrical and HVAC systems to comply with recently updated city requirements. The addition of only an auditorium allows us to keep the existing structure as intended and increase our overall square footage at a lower cost. Bottom line – more space for less money.
2. WHAT WILL THE NEW SPACE ALLOW US TO DO THAT THE OLD SPACE WILL NOT?
- Increase our auditorium capacity by almost 60% (to 180+ chairs).
- Increase our children’s ministry space from approximately 1,500sf to 5,000sf.
- Add a new Sunday School program to increase our discipleship impact.
- Host multiple Classical Conversations campuses throughout the week.
- Host additional (and simultaneous) classes, events, and outreach programs.
- Provide on-site offices.
- Plant more local and regional churches and congregations.
3. WILL THIS ALLOW US TO HAVE ONE SERVICE?
Unfortunately, no. For Redeemer to have one service, we would need an auditorium that could seat approximately 300. Even then, we would be at almost 80% capacity immediately upon moving in. It would also require adding more parking, a sprinkler system, increased drainage, etc. Construction of an auditorium that would allow us to have only one service and still grow is cost prohibitive.
4. HOW MUCH WILL THIS PROJECT COST?
This project will be done in phases. Phase 1 is “getting in.” We would add the new auditorium, a large covered breezeway, a playground, and make minimal renovations to the existing building so that we could have services as soon as possible. Phase 1 will cost approximately $940K. Phase 2 includes more significant renovations to the existing building to open up two large lobby spaces, upgrade and add restrooms, new flooring, paint, and fixtures.
Phase 2 would cost approximately $260K if begun before we finish Phase 1, and significantly more if done as a separate project. Phase 3 includes additional cosmetic upgrades: new siding on the existing building, interior upgrades, upgraded signage, etc. We do not have a complete scope of work or price for Phase 3.
5. HOW MUCH DO WE NEED TO RAISE NOW?
Our goal is to raise $150K in cash by December 4, 2016, (above our current tithes/offerings) and an additional $75K in pledges for 2017 and another $75K in pledges for 2018 (pledges to be submitted by December 4, 2016). This will allow us to begin Phase 1 in January 2017. We will put down approximately 20% on the $940K and finance approximately $750K. The initial $150K plus our current building fund will be used as our down payment. The additional $150K over the next two years will cover operational overages resulting from transitioning into Stone Hollow. Additional money received through the sale of properties will be applied to debt service and reduction of principal. If we receive more than $150K before December 4, 2016, or sell one of our properties, we will begin Phase 2.
6. HOW CAN I HELP?
Raising $150K by December 4, 2016, is a significant stretch for our community, but we are trusting God to provide as He sees fit. Our average attendance is currently 205. This means that we need approximately $732/per person. For some (especially those will large families), this seems almost impossible. Others will be able to give significantly more. We are asking for you to prayerfully consider how you and your family can give sacrificially and joyfully to this project. As you make a decision, please submit a pledge card or pledge online by December 4.
7. HOW CAN I GIVE?
You can give online. You can give via text message (text any amount to 84321 and follow the instructions). You can write a check and put it in the offering basket during service. You can transfer stocks/securities. Additional fundraising opportunities will be explored in coming months.
8. WHAT WILL IT LOOK LIKE?